Update: Resumption of second public hearing
The Inquiry’s second public hearing is scheduled to recommence on 15 February 2023, with an initial estimate of two weeks. The second stage of the hearing will take place at the Chief Secretary’s Building, Level 2, 121 Macquarie Street, Sydney. The hearing is open to the public and will be live streamed via the Inquiry’s website.
The Inquiry will hear from senior NSW Police officers involved in Strike Forces Parrabell, Neiwand and Macnamir and the academics who reviewed the results of the Strike Force Parrabell police officers. The Inquiry will also hear expert evidence in relation to Strike Force Parrabell.
It is anticipated that the following witnesses will be called to give oral evidence in the second stage of the hearing:
- Detective Sergeant Steve Morgan – Investigation Supervisor, Strike Force Neiwand.
- Former Deputy Commissioner Michael Willing – Commander, Homicide Squad.
- Former Detective Sergeant Steven Page – Officer in charge, Operation Taradale.
- Associate Professor Derek Dalton – Member of the Flinders University academic review team.
- Professor Willem de Lint – Member of the Flinders University academic review team.
- Professor Nicole Asquith – Professor of Policing and Emergency Management, University of Tasmania.
- Associate Professor Austin Lovegrove – Honorary Principal Fellow, University of Melbourne Law School.
- Martha Coakley – Former Attorney General of Massachusetts.
Please note that the witness list is subject to change and additional witnesses may be added in due course.
The Honourable Justice John Sackar will preside at the hearing. Counsel Assisting the Inquiry will be Peter Gray SC, Claire Palmer and Meg O’Brien.
Any person or organisation with a direct and substantial interest in the subject matter of this hearing, as outlined in Practice Guideline 1, is able to make an application for authorisation to appear by 5pm on Wednesday, 8 February 2022. Any party granted authorisation to appear at the first stage of this hearing does not need to reapply.
Journalists wishing to cover the hearing should notify the Inquiry’s media team to ensure access to the media room and/or relevant information including schedules and transcripts.
All inquiries in relation to the hearing should be directed to email@example.com.
The schedule is subject to change and does not necessarily contain all activities, hearings and engagements that the Inquiry will undertake.
It will be updated as more information becomes available.